*Tante Stefan’s Kitchen presents:*
Dear undergraduate and graduate students of the German Department:
Let’s make Flammkuchen!
Tante Stefan is back for a live webinar on how to make Flammkuchen – a crispy, easy-to-make flatbread from the regions around the French border. Prizes for the best Flammkuchen!
Vegan topping option.
Webinar takes place via Zoom (https://utoronto.zoom.us/j/82811446226) on
Friday, December 4th, 5pm ET.
You will need:
- 400 g flour
- 1 package yeast (about 2 ¼ tsp)
- 200 ml water
- 4 medium onions, red or white
- 200 g sour cream (or mix of crème fraiche and sour cream to = 200 g)
- Bacon if desired
- Grated cheese if desired, a cup or so of Emmentaler, Gruyere, or similar
For the vegan version – cashew crème topping:
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp miso (if you have it around)
People like to drink this with a regional, light white wine from Baden or the Elsass, but go local. Sandbanks winery has a nice ‘Dunes White’ and ‘Riesling Gewürztraminer’. Southbrook has an organic ‘Connect White’. Or whatever you want. No shame in a local beer either.