Fall 2016: Mon 12-2
I hold a B.A. in English, German and Education and a M.A. in European Literatures from the Humboldt University in Berlin. During my time at the Humboldt I was able to take part in exchanges to King’s College in London and to the Waseda University in Tokyo.
I entered the PhD program in 2012 to continue my research on German-Japanese literature and cultural exchange. I am especially interested in German post-colonial studies and transnational gender studies. Through generous support of the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science and the Coalition of Women in German I was able to conduct research at Rikkyo University, Tokyo in 2015.
I was involved in the German Drama Club production "Seifenblasen" and I enjoy working as a German Language Instructor for all levels of German.
- 2016 Women in German, Banff
Presentation: The perfect Women? Gender and Imperialism in two German-Japanese films
- 2015 IVG, Shanghai
Presentation: Space and the Colonial Question in Arnold Franck's Die Tochter des Samurai
- 2015 Sokendai University, Hayama, Japan
Presentation: German and Japanese Imperialism in Arnold Franck and Itami Mansaku's Die Tochter des Samurai
- 2015 NeMLA, Toronto
Presentation: Between migrant flâneuse and tourist: the Japanese traveller in Yoko Tawada's Brother-in-law in Bordeaux
- 2015 Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto
Europe in Flux: Transnational Challenges for a Globalized World
Presentation: “Beyond ‘East’ and ‘West’ – communism and colonialism in Yoko Tawada’s The naked Eye”
- 2015 Campus Talk, Post-Colonial Working Group
Presentation: “Hybridity revisited – the case of Japan and Germany”
- 2013 German Studies Association conference, Denver
Presentation: “Other Voices: The Foreign Woman in the Writing of Yoko Tawada and Milena Michiko Flašar”
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Award (SSHRC)
- 2016 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) (delined)
- 2015 Zantop Travel Award, Coalition of Women in German
- 2015 SGS Travel Award, University of Toronto
- 2015 Joint Initiative in German and European Studies Grant
- 2012 Katie Keeler Entrance Award
- 2010 DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) - Scholarship
- 2007 Socrates-Scholarship
- 2015: Fellow of the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science at Rikkyo University, Tokyo
- 2014-2016: DAAD-fellow of the interdisciplinary working group 'Kolleg Europa'